Gluten Free Dairy Free Mexican Cornbread Casserole GFCF
Author: adapted by Angela Litzinger at angelaskitchen.com from Melanie @ copykat.com (Corn bread is based Blender Corn Bread from Sue Gregg)
Recipe type: gluten free, dairy free, gfcf, beef, casserole
- The night before your cooking day:
- ¾ cup rice milk with 2 teaspoon lemon juice or cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1½ cups corn dry polenta or coarse ground corn meal
- Place above ingredients into blender; blend at high speed 3-5 minutes (the blender will “grind” the grain into a batter in the liquid medium. Let sit covered on counter overnight.
- On your cooking day:
- Brown 1 pounds of ground beef; drain grease.
- Add 2 teaspoons dried minced onion,
- 1 teaspoons salt,
- 1 teaspoons chili powder,
- ½ teaspoon cornstarch,
- 1 teaspoons cumin,
- ½ teaspoon dry minced garlic,
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes,
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano;
- add 7 ounces drained chopped green chilies and
- 6 tablespoons water. Allow to simmer until thickened; turn off heat and set aside.
- On your cooking day, after browning the meat, add to cornbread batter:
- 1½ large eggs (6 tablespoons of blended egg)
- 1⅛ teaspoons baking powder
- 3/8 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces frozen corn, thawed
- 7 ounces bag frozen pepper mix, thawed (or equivalent fresh)
- Mix in baking powder, baking soda, and salt thoroughly, but briefly, using blender and/or rubber spatula as needed. Mix in thawed frozen corn. Divide batter in half. Pour half of cornbread mixture in bottom of oiled 9×13 pan. On top of cornbread carefully add meat mixture; on top of meat sprinkle pepper mix; top with remaining cornbread mixture. Cover and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw. Uncover and bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 min until cornbread is baked through. Let set 5 min or so and cut into squares. (Double bake time if frozen).