Gluten Free Dairy Free Mexican Cornbread Casserole GFCF
- The night before your cooking day:
- 3/4 cup rice milk with 2 teaspoon lemon juice or cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups corn dry polenta or coarse ground corn meal
- Place above ingredients into blender; blend at high speed 3-5 minutes (the blender will “grind” the grain into a batter in the liquid medium. Let sit covered on counter overnight.
- On your cooking day:
- Brown 1 pounds of ground beef; drain grease.
- Add 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dry minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano;
- add 7 ounces drained chopped green chilies and
- 6 tablespoons water. Allow to simmer until thickened; turn off heat and set aside.
- On your cooking day after browning the meat, add to cornbread batter:
- 1 1/2 large eggs 6 tablespoons of blended egg
- 1 1/8 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 ounces frozen corn thawed
- 7 ounces bag frozen pepper mix thawed (or equivalent fresh)
- Mix in baking powder, baking soda, and salt thoroughly, but briefly, using blender and/or rubber spatula as needed. Mix in thawed frozen corn. Divide batter in half. Pour half of cornbread mixture in bottom of oiled 9x13 pan. On top of cornbread carefully add meat mixture; on top of meat sprinkle pepper mix; top with remaining cornbread mixture. Cover and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw. Uncover and bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 min until cornbread is baked through. Let set 5 min or so and cut into squares. (Double bake time if frozen).