Crockpot Pea Soup with Ham
Yeah, pea soup isn’t the best looking soup out there, but it sure is comforting on a cold day. If you don’t eat pork, feel free to use smoked turkey legs for the ham bone and smoked turkey instead.
The Recipe: Crockpot Pea Soup with Ham
- 16 oz. dried split peas
- 2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 1 ham bone, from above ham
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ t salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups gluten free chicken stock, boiling
- 1 cup hot almond milk or GFCF unsweetened milk of choice
- Put the ham bone in the bottom of the crockpot. Next, layering in order, the split peas, ham, carrots, onion, garlic, bay leaves, salt, pepper and boiling stock. Do not stir. Cover and cook on high 4-5 hours (or 8-10 hours on low) or until vegetables are tender. Remove hambone and bayleaves. Stir in hot almond milk. If desired, mash up some of the peas to thicken your soup.