GFCF Pizza “Cheese”
After it cools it this thickens up enough to use this to spread on GFCF bread for grilled “cheese” sandwiches.
The type of nutritional yeast flakes will determine if it is lighter or a darker orange. Mine is usually MUCH more yellow than this one (of course, on the day of the pic- the lighting didn’t help, either) so I’ll post a more regular colored one when I can. 🙂
The Recipe: Gluten Free Dairy Free Pizza “Cheese”
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes, or 1/4 cup nutritional yeast powder
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup GFCF margarine, such as Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 1 tsp. prepared GFCF mustard
- Mix dry ingredients in a saucepan. Whisk in water. Cook over medium heat, whisking, until it thickens and bubbles. Cook 30 seconds, then remove from heat. Whip in margarine and mustard. It will thicken as it cools but will thin when heated.
- > Variation: for a stretchier sauce that’s good on pizza, add an extra 1 Tbsp. cornstarch. Instead of margarine, whip in 1/2 cup of oil after it cooks, and add as much as 1 cup of water at the end, or as needed to make a thick, smooth sauce that pours easily. Drizzle on pizza and for the last few minutes of baking, put pizza under broiler (watch closely!!) to form a stretchy, speckled skin.