Lunch in Unit:
Girl Scout Gumbo
Snack: Goin’ Fishin’
Girl Scout Gumbo…our Caddies were raving about it. Weird, but it must be a tradition. I brought the rest of the ground meat mix with green pepper and onions, some chopped tomato from the fridge, a bit of Tofutti Sour cream (as I had it on hand from the other day), Corn Chips and we were good to go.
The camp did not add anything to the fruit salad but fresh fruit! So, how easy was that?! Thank goodness my daughter was fine with bringing homemade GFCF chocolate chip cookies from the freezer, so I was off the hook. I didn’t have any brownies made and frozen and was not up for baking anything after a day of Girl Scout Camp fun.
For Goin’ Fishin’ snack, I brought little snack baggies of Swedish Fish, GFCF pretzels (for fish nets, don’t ya know), Pik-Nik sticks (had them on hand from the other day), Perky-O’s cereal, and raisins. My daughter mixed her own snack at camp.
The Recipe: Girl Scout Gumbo
- Pre-cooked ground beef - I used pre-cooked ground beef with onions and pepper added.
- Onions, diced
- Green pepper, optional, diced
- Water, as needed (we didn’t need)
- Instead of condensed vegetable soup, we used a bit of dairy free Tofutti sour cream or use a soy-free version
- Dairy free shredded cheese, optional (we skipped)
- Corn chips - we used a Fritos Grab Bag for portability
- Heat ground beef. Chop onion and green pepper and add to meat. Add soup and any water that is needed. Bring to a boil, cook for 10 minutes. Stir in cheese. Serve over corn chips.