Gluten Free Ration Rally: Grilled Lemon Angel Food Cake with Lemon Curd and Berries
I am SO very excited to be part of the Gluten Free Ratio Rally! Each month the group posts recipes based on a specific food (normally made with gluten but changed to gluten free) that they have created by starting with a ratio. Some use the same proportions (taken from Michael Ruhlman’s book Ratio), but you also have the freedom to create new ones based on your preferences. The goal is to remove the mystique from baking and inspire a sense of ability and adventure. That is my kind of fun!
This month’s challenge was hosted by Caleigh of Gluten Free[k] and the challenge was angel food cake. I adore angel food cake! It looks so homey with it’s lovely golden crust and soft white interior and simply melts in your mouth. Angel food cake topped with whipped coconut topping and strawberries is my very favorite cake and what I always asked for as my birthday cake growing up (though it was topped with real whipped cream in those days). I can’t wait to see what versions everyone comes up with! The ratio for angel food cake is 3:3:1, that is 3 parts egg whites, 3 parts sugar and 1 part flour.
The one tip I have for successful angel food cake is to use the freshest eggs you can and to use them as room temperature. Eggs are easiest to separate while cold, so I usually separated my eggs while cold, then allow them to set to get to room temp. You will get the best loft for your cake if you follow this trick.
I already have a gluten free angel food cake that I am very happy with, so I just stuck with that (I am such a cheater-pants!) but thought I would do a bit of a twist on it. Instead of the vanilla base I normally do for angel food cake, I went with lemon. Instead of a glaze, I made homemade lemon curd to further boost the lemon flavor. Fruit curds are what I normally choose to make when I have an abundance of egg yolks after a baking project. Mmmm…. To make this more of a summer time dessert, I grilled it a bit (just enough to get grill marks) and served with grilled peaches, the lemon curd and raspberries. The resulting dessert tasted like summertime on a plate!
The Recipe: Gluten Free Dairy Free Lemon Angel Food Cake
- 1 1/2 cups fresh egg whites, about 10 large, at room temperature (300 grams)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cream or tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh lemon zest
- 3/4 teaspoon gluten free vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon gluten free lemon extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar, 125 g
- 1/2 cup potato starch, 196 g
- 1/2 cup cornstarch, 64 g
- 2/3 cup baker’s sugar, 150 g
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift together powdered sugar, potato starch, and cornstarch, set aside. Measure baker’s sugar and set aside.
- Combine egg whites, cream of tartar, salt and zest in large mixing bowl. With mixer at high, beat until mixture forms soft peaks. Continue beating while slowly adding baker’s sugar. Add zest, vanilla and lemon extract. Beat until sugar is dissolved and mixture forms stiff peaks.
- With rubber spatula, gently fold in the dry starch mixture about 1/4 at a time, folding just until the mixture is blended. Pour batter into ungreased 10-inch tube pan and cut through with spatula to break any air bubbles. Gently smooth top of batter with spatula.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool on a cooling rack inverted, so cake won’t collapse. Completely cool cake before removing from pan. Run a knife around pan edge, if needed, to loosen cake.
To see the other angel food cakes in the Gluten Free Ratio Rally:
Angela | Angela’s Kitchen | Grilled Lemon Angel Food Cake with Lemon Curd and Berries
Aunt Mae | Honey From Flinty Rocks | Angel Food Cake with Lemon Glaze
Caleigh | Gluten Free[k] | Almond Angel Food Stars
Caneel | Mama Me Gluten Free | Angel Food Cake “Pudding” with Fresh Cherry Sauce
Charissa | Zest Bakery | Saffron Angel Food Cake
Gretchen | kumquat | Carmel Macchiato Angel Food Cake
Heather | Discovering the Extraordinary | Coconut Lime Angel Food Cake Roll
Jonathan | The Canary Files | Lavender Angel Food Cupcakes
Mary Fran | FrannyCakes | Gluten-Free Angel Food Cake with Roasted Cherries and Earl Grey
Pete & Kelli | No Gluten, No Problem | Carmel Peach Angel Food Cake