Goulash, Gluten Free Dairy Free for the freezer
My kiddos wanted me to get some gluten free pasta dishes into the freezer for their lunches. After searching around, I four this delicious comfort meal that I adapted for the freezer from one of my favorite bloggers, Carrie of Ginger Lemon Girl. I have changed it up to how I serve it to my family, but the inspiration is all Carrie. If you haven’t checked out her blog, go, go now. Seriously… go! I can wait. 🙂 This is like goulash, but even better. Thanks for making me a hero to my kids, Carrie!
The Recipe: Gluten Free Dairy Free Goulash
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium sweet onion, minced
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 2 carrots, finely shredded
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 cup gluten & dairy free tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup gluten free beef or chicken stock, or water
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked gluten free penne or elbow pasta
- Add beef, onions, celery and shredded carrots to a skillet. Brown ground beef skillet over medium-high heat. Drain grease from beef then add garlic, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Mix tomato sauce with stock and add to ground beef and vegetables. Turn off heat and allow to cool.
- Cook gluten free pasta according to package directions until just done. Drain and rinse under cold water to stop cooking. Toss with olive oil then mix into meat mixture.
- Divide goulash into individual lunch sized containers removing as much air as possible, label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw. Heat through. If sending in a lunch box, heat mixture and place into a pre-heated thermos or thermos bowl.