This is from the gluten and dairy free September 2009 freezer menu. Enjoy!
Black Beans & Brown Rice
- 2 cups brown rice uncooked
- 60 ounces canned black beans 4 14.5 oz cans – drain and rinse 2 cans, but keep the liquid from the other 2 cans
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 1 bunches chopped cilantro
- 1 cup gluten free salsa
- 1 cup dairy free “cheese” sauce of choice warmed enough to pour
- Steam or cook brown rice according to package directions.
- Heat black beans (including liquid from four cans) in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Chop onion and cilantro, mince garlic, and place all in a saucepan and sauté. After beans have heated for 20 minutes, add sautéed ingredients and salsa and stir into black beans. Divide cooked rice among 2 8×8 baking pans. Pour black bean concoction over rice and drizzle “cheese” sauce on top.
- Cover with foil and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw. Bake covered for 30 minutes at 325 degrees. Double baking time if not thawed.