Gluten Free Dairy Free Chicken Taquitos – Gluten Free-zer Friday
I found this tasty recipe over at Gluten Free 4 Goofs. You all know I love having healthy, delicious, homemade snacks on hand in the freezer to satisfy the household teens, so I just had to make my own version. You can spice it up how you like, so I used my taco seasoning. Multiply this recipe up when ever chicken is on sale. However, I would caution about making too big of a batch at once, because working with corn tortillas can be a bit fussy and frustrating. But this recipe? Totally worth it. Yummy! Thanks for the awesome recipe and inspiration, Jessie!
The Recipe: Gluten Free Dairy Free Chicken Taquitos
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 24 - 6 " gluten free corn tortillas
- 2 teaspoons instant minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon instant minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed, dried red pepper (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- oil as needed for cooking
- Place chicken in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 6 hours hours until cooked through. Save any broth created in the slow cooker for another use.
- In a bowl mix chicken with onion, salt, chili powder, cornstarch, cumin, garlic, red pepper, and oregano.
- Lightly oil a skillet and heat over medium heat. Working with on or two tortillas at a time, heat tortillas until they just begin to bubble then remove and place cooked side up on a clean kitchen towel. Spoon chicken onto the tortilla’s cooked side and roll. The tortilla should wrap one and a half times around the chicken for proper taquito shape (and so they stay together).
- After all taquitos are rolled, place taquitos seam side down, in the hot skillet. Leave taquitos cooking until you begin to smell the tortilla toasting, then turn to another side, approx 5 min. It works well to pack them right next to each other in the pan so the taquitos don't have room to unroll. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas and chicken until finished.
- Cool taquitos completely. Lay on a rimmed baking sheet and freeze until firm. Pack in freezer container separated by waxed paper. Remove as much air as possible, label and seal.
- To serve: Heat taquitos on a grill or skillet for 5 min a side or bake on a baking sheet for 15 minutes in a 400 degree oven until warm all the way through.