Tonight we are having leftover soup from the weekend: Chicken Wild Rice Soup and Bison and Sweet Potato Stew. The stew I did in my slow cooker and it turned out great. It’s a nice way to introduce bison to your diet if you have started to see it at your market and want to try it out. You can also use beef stew meat if that is what you have instead. This was very satisfying and also acceptable diet-wise enough for my neanderthal husband…. um, I mean, my triathalon-training, paleo-diet-following (hence the neanderthal comment) husband…. um, yeah…. (hee, hee. hee! Love ya, honey!)
I am linking today to Sandra’s blog for Slow Cooking Thursday. (I have done this in the past, but fell off the linking band wagon… It’s nice to be back!) Head on over and check out the other tasty options for your crock pot!
Bison & Sweet Potato Stew
- 2 pounds bison steak cut into ¾” cubes
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut into ¾” cubes
- 1 pound white button mushrooms quartered
- 12 large shallots peeled and quartered
- 8 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 cup dry red wine
- 2 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley snipped
- Place bison, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, shallots, garlic, wine, rosemary, salt and pepper in a 6-quart slow cooker; stir to combine. Put the lid on and cook on low until the potatoes are tender, about 5 hours. Before serving stir in vinegar and parsley.
- To freeze: Put all ingredients for one batch into a gallon-sized zip sealed freezer bag. In a small freezer bag package vinegar and parsley. Remove as much air as possible from both bags, seal, package together, label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw. Put contents of large bag into slow cooker and stir. Cover with lid and cook on low 5 hours. Before serving stir in vinegar and parsley. Serve over rice or pasta and add a side salad.
Slow Cooking Thursday
Thursday, March 13, 2008