Stir fry is one of my favorite things to make, especially in the summer. I make a LOT of stir fry in the summer. Part of the reason is stir fry is so easy to pull together, I can toss in any veggie that is ripe that day from the garden, and it’s so delicious.
Chicken and Kale Stir Fry is one version that uses kale, one of the hardier greens you find in your garden or farmer’s market. You can replace kale with swiss chard or spinach if you don’t happen to have kale.
Chicken and Kale Stir Fry
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into cubes
- 1 stalk lemongrass minced or use 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest and 1 packed tablespoon minced watercress
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh peeled ginger
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 orange or red bell pepper seeded and thinly sliced
- 8 leaves kale or one bunch tough stem removed and sliced
- 3 tablespoon gluten free soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- black pepper to taste
- In a bowl, mix together chicken, lemon grass, finer, and garlic. Cover and put in refrigerator for about 15 minutes while you assemble the rest of your ingredients or start rice, quinoa or cauliflower "rice" to serve with finished stir fry.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a skillet or wok. Working in batches, stir fry chicken until cooked through. Set aside in a bowl and continue until all chicken is cooked.
- Add red pepper to skillet and stir fry until crisp tender. Add chicken back to skillet (including any juices that have accumulated). Add kale and soy sauce. Stir fry until kale is wilted. Drizzle with sesame oil and black pepper.
- Serve over baked sweet potato, rice, quinoa or cauliflower "rice."
- To freeze: Allow stir fry to cool. Package in a gallon sized freezer bag, removing all air, label and freeze. To serve: Thaw and heat through.
- To freeze for lunch: Allow to cool. Dividing between six lunch sized freezer containers, place the rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice you are serving the dish with. Dividing between containers, portion out the chicken and kale stir fry evenly between the containers. Cover, removing as much air as possible, label and freeze. To serve: Thaw and heat through. For a lunch box, heat through then put into preheated thermos bowl.