It is time for week two of The Great Gluten Free Campout! Woo-hoo! I am so excited to participate in The Great Gluten Free Campout! Four bloggers over the next four weeks will be partnering to bring you a full range of recipes: Breakfasts, Desserts, Sides and Snacks, and Campfire Classics. Each blogger will be hosting a category. Last week I hosted breakfast featuring Box Oven Muffins and Eggs. And this week? Oh yeah, baby! I am hosting Desserts!
So, remember last week when we talked about box ovens? Yep, we will be using a box oven again. When I first learned about box ovens, it was at Girl Scout camp. Almost every year one on the lunches has box oven brownies. They are super simple to make. Simply set up your box oven, stir up a box mix of brownies (use gluten free mix for the gluten free crowd, of course) and bake them up in the box oven using the time on the mix’s box. Yum!
I wanted to make brownies, but my girls and I thought we should kick it up a bit to new gooey deliciousness, so decided S’more ingredients of marshmallows and grahams would pair well with the brownies. You can use homemade or store bought gluten free graham crackers OR try using crushed gluten free sugar cones like we did for our example bars. So tasty!
You can always use your own homemade gluten free brownie batter (I have a couple here on the blog), but for easy camping fun, I used Better Batter Flour’s Brownie Mix for this example. Baking time may vary depending on the batter used. Start checking if the bars are baked through at the longest baking time for the brownie recipe you use.
- 1 gluten free box brownie mix (or homemade), batter made dairy free according to instructions
- 2 cups gluten free mini marshmallows
- 1 cup broken and crumbled gluten free graham crackers or gluten free sugar cones
- 12"x8" foil pan
- oil for pan
- Box oven
- Set up box oven. See this post (http://angelaskitchen.com/2013/07/02/the-great-gluten-free-campout-box-oven-muffins-and-eggs/) for instructions. While charcoal is flaming and heating up, make gluten free brownie mix according to instructions on box.
- Oil foil pan. Pour batter into pan, patting out batter to cover the entire pan. Sprinkle crushed gluten free graham crackers evenly over batter, then add mini-marshmallows.
- When coals are ready, place brownies on cans in box oven. Set the box over brownies and allow to bake for 5 minutes longer than the longest bake time on the brownie batter box (in the case of Better Batter Brownie Mix, allow to bake for 30 minutes) before checking to see if brownie bars are done. Bars are done when bakes through in center and marshmallows have melted and browned slightly.
- Remove brownies from box oven and allow to cool before slicing.
- To bake these at home, bake in a 350 degree F oven for the shortest time on your baking mix box before checking for doneness.
Want more great recipes? Check out my other blogger friends, who are hosting the rest of today’s meals:
Dessert: Box Oven S’more Brownie Bars, by Angela’s Kitchen (hey, that’s me!)
* * * * * * *
Thanks to everyone who has shared recipes for the Great Gluten Free Swap so far:
Breakfast: Box Oven Blueberry Muffins and Eggs, by Angela’s Kitchen (hey, that’s me!)
Dessert: Campside Peach Pie with Cinnamon Whipped Cream, Two Ways, by The Accidental Okie
Sides and Snacks: Super Chewy Granola Bars (Quaker Chewy Clone) and Poe Valley Granola Bars (Nature Valley Clone) by Naomi at Better Batter Flour
So, how about you? Do you have an awesome gluten free camping recipe you would like to share? Link it up or add the recipe in the comments! We would love to see it!