Curried Chicken, Cantaloupe and Mango Salad
When I saw this Good Housekeeping recipe for Curried Chicken with Mango and Cantaloupe Slaw, I knew I had to make it over dairy free. I tweaked some of the flavors for my family a bit and saved some marinade back for a dressing. Replacing regular yogurt with plain coconut based yogurt gives the curried chicken and mango and even more of a tropical flair we really enjoyed. You could even toss on some toasted unsweetened coconut flavors and really embrace the tropics! Yum!
The Recipe: Curried Chicken, Cantaloupe and Mango Salad
- 1 lime, zest and juice divided
- 1 6 ounce container plain gluten and dairy free coconut yogurt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 small cantaloupe, peeled and cut into julienne strips (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 large mango, peeled and cut into julienne strips (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 8 cups mixed greens salad
- Lime wedges, optional
- toasted unsweetened coconut flakes, optional
- Finely zest the lime and squeeze the juice. In large zip-close bag, mix 1 tablespoon lime juice and 1/2 teaspoon lime zest with half of the coconut yogurt (3 ounces), curry powder, crystalized ginger, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and crushed red pepper flakes. Add chicken, mixing around to coat with marinade. Remove as much air as possible, seal and place in the refrigerator for at least one hour. Turn occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare salad: In medium bowl, with rubber spatula, gently stir cantaloupe and mango with cilantro, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon lime peel, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Refrigerate covered until ready to serve.
- Mix together remaining 3 ounces plain coconut yogurt, lime zest and juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Use as dressing.
- Prepare grill or broiler. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Place chicken on hot rack. Cover grill and cook chicken 10 to 12 minutes or until juices run clear when thickest part of breast is pierced with tip of knife, turning chicken over once. Alternatively, cook chicken using broiler until cooked through. Transfer chicken to cutting board; cool slightly until easy to handle, then cut into long thin slices.
- To serve, arrange salad greens on 6 plates; top with cantalope-mango mixture and sliced chicken. Serve with a drizzle of coconut yogurt-lime dressing, and lime wedges and toasted coconut, if desired.
Pingback: Menu Plan Monday – July 8, 2013 | Start Gluten Free