It’s time for the third recipe using sprouted Way Better Snacks Tortilla Chips. All three recipes would be perfect if you are hosting a fun get together at your house to watch a big game. Good food, a fun game, great friends and tasty chips… What could be better? Don’t forget to check out the recipes for the appetizer of Gluten & Dairy Free Seven Layer Dip and the Apple Pie Dip dessert to complete your meal.
For the main dish I made a gluten free dairy free Ground Turkey and Veggie Tortilla Casserole. I love this dish because, while it has lots of healthy ingredients like summer squash, tomatoes, spinach and ground turkey it still tastes a bit naughty. Topping the dish with crushed Simply Beyond Black Bean and Simply Sunny Multi-Grain Tortilla Chips and a bit of dairy free cheese substitute (or use real cheese, if that is how you roll) got rave reviews from the teens in the house. My youngest super-picky girl even loved it. That, my dears, is a meal to make again.
This dish can be made ahead of time and frozen so it is ready for when you need it. You will find freezer instructions and a printable freezer label below if you would like to make this ahead of time or stash one in the freezer for an easy meal on another night.
- 1½ tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped (I used a red one)
- 3 minced cloves garlic
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1½ cups zucchini, chopped
- 1½ cups yellow summer squash, chopped
- 4 ounces canned mild green chilies OR small jalapeño seeded and ribs removed & diced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ to 1 teaspoon gluten free chili powder, or to taste
- 1 -28 ounce can of chopped tomatoes, drained but reserve tomato juice (about 2½ cups drained)
- 1 -14 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed (about 1½ cups)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup packed fresh spinach, chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup crushed Way Better Snack's Simply Black Bean Tortilla Chips
- 1 cup crushed Way Better Snack's Simply Sunny Whole Grain Tortilla Chips
- 1 cup of shredded gluten and dairy free cheese substitute of choice, optional
- In a large skillet or soup pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper, cooking until translucent. Add the ground turkey and garlic. Cook until turkey is browned and cooked though.
- Add the zucchini, yellow summer squash, chilies, spices, tomatoes and beans. Season well with salt and pepper. Mix well. Let simmer over medium heat until flavors meld, about 30 minutes. If it appears a bit dry, add some of the reserved tomato juice from the drained tomatoes or some gluten free chicken stock.
- Preheat the oven to 350. Stir in spinach and the cilantro. Pour the mixture into an oiled 9"x13" pan. Mix the two type of crushed tortillas together. Sprinkle tortillas on top of the mixture. Sprinkle with cheese substitute if using.
- Bake until the cheese substitute is melted and mixture is bubbly, about 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with extra cilantro to garnish and serve.
- To Freeze: After mixing the spinach and cilantro into the mixture allow to cool. Put mixture into an oiled pan and wrap well for freezing. Put the crushed tortilla topping into a small freezer bag and the cheese substitute in another, bundling the bags with the pan. Label and freeze.
- To Serve: Thaw. Sprinkle casserole with tortilla topping and cheese substitute. Bake at 350 F degrees for 30 to 40 minutes until heated through and bubbling.
DISCLAIMER: I was provided the Way Better Snacks Chips (one of each flavor) for free to try. All opinions and words are my own.