Apple Pie Dip… What could be better for fall?
Want the taste of apple pie without having to make a crust? Cook up this fun dip and instead!
When Melissa at Stockpiling Moms asked if I could come up with a couple recipes using Way Better Snack’s Tortilla Chips, I was so excited. Not only are they made using spouted grains and seeds and certified gluten free (love!), they are really tasty, too! Chips made me think of game days and I decided to make 3 recipes to help you have a delicious time the next time you have family and friend over to watch the big game.
Because it is me, I am starting with dessert! 🙂 Of course, I think this recipe would also be a wonderful appetizer and I am planning on making this for Thanksgiving dinner as a nibble to take the edge off while we wait for the turkey. But today it is dessert and a dessert you can eat with chips. It is apple season and I have several varieties sitting on my counter right now. Use apples for cooking in this recipe, ones that will hold their texture when cooked and not turn into mush. We are making a dip, not apple sauce, so no mushy apples! I also like a mix of a couple of different apples because I think you get the most complex flavor profile, but the dip is still delicious if you simply use one type. I like a sweet-tart crisp apple, so that is what I used. Apples I like in particular for this are Braeburn, Cortlands and Idareds, though Gala, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith or Cameo would also be wonderful.
I served the Apple Pie Dip with Simply Sweet Potato and the Naked Blues Tortilla Chips. Apple and sweet potato are fall flavors that naturally pair well together. If bringing over to a friend’s house dress up your dip by putting into a cute jar. When you arrive, place the jar in the center of a plate or basket and arrange the sweet potato chips around it. Yum!
Check back tomorrow and Friday for the other two recipes made with Way Better Snacks Tortilla Chips.
The Recipe: Apple Pie Dip
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons corn starch or arrowroot powder
- 2 1/2 cups apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Mix brown sugar and cornstarch together, blending well in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan place the apples, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix until apples are coated with lemon juice and spices. Cook, stirring often, over medium heat until apples are tender (to the texture you like) but not mushy and have released their juice.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar/corn starch mixture over the apples. Mix in and cook until all the sugar has dissolved and the juice has thickened. Serve warm (yum!), at room temp or cold.
DISCLAIMER: I was provided the Way Better Snacks Chips (one of each flavor) for free to try. All opinions and words are my own.
This recipe is being shared at Slightly Indulgent Tuesday.
Pingback: Way Better Snacks Apple Pie Dip Recipe » Way Better Snacks
I LOVE the idea of an apple pie dip! Mmmm…
Pingback: Gluten Free-zer Friday – Ground Turkey & Veggie Tortilla Casserole
Pingback: Menu Plan Monday – December 10, 2012
Pingback: Gluten-Free Menu Plan - Appetizers
Pingback: The Top 175 Gluten-Free Apple Dessert Recipes: Favorites from Your Favorite Bloggers | All Gluten-Free Desserts...All the Time