It is starting to cool off and the leaves are beginning to change. I have got a hankering to bake with cinnamon and ginger. It must be time for Ginger Snaps. Enjoy!
Gluten & Dairy Free Ginger Snap Cookies
Author: Angela Litzinger at angelaskitchen.com
Recipe type: gluten free, dairy free, gfcf, dessert, cookies
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup shortening (I use an organic palm shortening)
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2½ cup gluten free bean flour blend (or 9 T garbfava flour, 5 T sorghum flour, 13 T corn starch, and 13 T tapioca starch)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground dry ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- about ½ cup sugar, for rolling sugar
- Cream together brown sugar and shortening. Add egg and molasses and blend well. In another bowl whisk together gluten free flours, xanthan fix, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Mix the dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Mix well. Cover dough and chill for 1 hour to overnight.
- When dough is chilled, roll the dough into balls using 2 teaspoons of dough per ball. Roll the ball in the sugar. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes. They will be puffed when just out of the oven, but will flatten in a minute or so. Allow the cookies to set for a couple of minutes on pan until they have set up a bit, then use a thin spatula to move then to a cooling rack. For smaller cookies (1½″ cookies) use 1 teaspoon of dough per cookie and bake for 6-8 minutes.
- To Freeze: Allow cookies to cool completely. Package in a freezer safe container using waxed paper or parchment to separate the layers of cookies.