Gluten Free Dairy Free Pumpkin Enchiladas Casserole
If you have leftover chicken or turkey, this is a good dish to use it up on. Shed the meat and layer before the beans.
The Recipe: Gluten Free Dairy Free Pumpkin Enchiladas Casserole
- 1 Tablespoons oil
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15 oz cans pumpkin puree
- 2 cups gluten free chicken stock or broth
- 4 oz. can of diced mild green jalapeno chiles, drained
- 1 teaspoon gluten free chili powder
- 4 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can back beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 – 12 oz jar roasted bell peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 cups “cheese” sauce of choice or gluten & dairy free cheese sub of choice
- 18 gluten free corn tortillas, 6-inch
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 tablespoon oil. Once the oil has heated, add the onion, seasoning well with salt and pepper. Sauté for 4-5 minutes, until onions soften. Add garlic and continue to cook for another minute. Stir in pumpkin puree, stock, jalapenos, chili powder, nutmeg and check if it needs more salt and pepper. Remove sauce from heat.
- Pour 2 cups of sauce in the bottom of 9x13 pan. Lay (dividing tortillas in half as needed) 6 tortillas into the bottom of pan overlapping and covering as well as possible. Sprinkle with half of the black beans, half of the pinto beans, and half of the roasted bell peppers. Pour 1 cup of pumpkin sauce on layer. Repeat layer starting with tortillas, then both beans, peppers and another 1 cup sauce. Top with the final layer of tortillas. Pour final pumpkin sauce on top (about 2 cups). Warm “cheese” sauce until you can pour it. Drizzle “cheese” sauce over each casserole (see "dips" and "dairy replacements" tab for the ones I use). Freeze.
- To serve: Thaw. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes – 1 hour or until bubbling.