Apple Strussel Muffins, Gluten and Dairy Free
The Recipe: Gluten and Dairy Free Apple Strussel Muffins
- 1/2 cup GFCF margarine, such as Earth Balance
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp GFCF vanilla
- 1 cup finely ground rice flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 tsp GFCF baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup GFCF milk substitute mixed with 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups chopped apples
- Strussel topping:
- 1/3 c turbinado sugar
- 1 t cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 2 T rice flour
- 2 T potato starch
- 2 T tapioca starch mixed well
- Add 2 T soft GFCF margarine and blend with a fork until crumbly
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Beat margarine and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat well.
- Combine rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt in a medium sized bowl. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to egg mixture and mix just until smooth. Add milk mixture, scrape bottom and sides of bowl and mix again just until smooth.
- Add apples. Stir just until combined.
- Fill muffin liners 2/3 full. Divide strussel topping over muffins (about ½ T for each muffin). Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack before serving. Place in gallon freezer bags and freeze. To serve: Reheat in microwave 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
Pingback: Gluten Free-zer Friday – Breakfast & Lunch Plan September 2009
I made these tonight and they were fantastic!! My husband even said that he couldn’t tell they were gluten/dairy free 🙂
Woo-hoo! That’s what I call a success! Thanks for letting me know. I’m so glad they were a hit. These are one of my family’s favorite muffins. 🙂