Gluten and Dairy Free Apple Strussel Muffins
Author: Angela Litzinger from test.angelaskitchen.com
Recipe type: gluten free, dairy free, gfcf, breads, quick breads, muffins
Serves: 18 to 20 muffins
- ½ cup GFCF margarine (such as Earth Balance)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ tsp GFCF vanilla
- 1 cup finely ground rice flour
- ¼ cup potato starch
- ¼ cup tapioca starch
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1½ tsp GFCF baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup GFCF milk substitute mixed with 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups chopped apples
- Strussel topping:
- ⅓ c turbinado sugar
- 1 t cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 2 T rice flour
- 2 T potato starch
- 2 T tapioca starch mixed well
- Add 2 T soft GFCF margarine and blend with a fork until crumbly
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Beat margarine and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat well.
- Combine rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, baking powder, and salt in a medium sized bowl. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to egg mixture and mix just until smooth. Add milk mixture, scrape bottom and sides of bowl and mix again just until smooth.
- Add apples. Stir just until combined.
- Fill muffin liners ⅔ full. Divide strussel topping over muffins (about ½ T for each muffin). Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack before serving. Place in gallon freezer bags and freeze. To serve: Reheat in microwave 1-2 minutes or until heated through.