Spring Vegetable Soup
It is still so chilly, but I have a craving for all the Spring veggies showing up at the store. Soup seemed to be the way to incorporate the need for something warming, while indulging in the yummy veg. Hope you like it as much as we did.
If you would like to make this a bit more hearty, add rinsed white beans or left over cooked chicken. I like to make extra and package the cooled soup in freezer safe containers to keep on hand for lunches.
The Recipe: Spring Vegetable Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 medium cloves garlic, minced
- one bunch green onions, thinly sliced, white and green parts
- 6 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 leeks, white and green parts, cleaned, sliced
- 3 bulbs fennel, cleaned and sliced
- 8 cups gluten free vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 roasted yellow beets, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup spring peas
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoon dairy free pesto, I like using homemade arugula pesto, optional, for garnish
- Heat olive oil in stock pot over medium-high heat, and sauté garlic, green onions, carrots, celery, leeks, and fennel together until veggies are softening.
- Add stock, bay leaves and thyme. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Allow to simmer until vegetables are tender. Stir in peas and roasted beets. Keep soup on the heat until peas are just cooked and beets are heated through.
- Serve soup. Top with a 1/2 tablespoon of dairy free pesto, if desired.
- To freeze: Cool. Freeze in individual lunch-sized freezer containers. Top with pesto. Seal, label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw. Heat through.