Citrus-kissed Chicken Fingers, Gluten Free Dairy Free
At wholefoodsmarket.com, Whole Foods has some tasty recipes, including a section on gluten free food. I have tweeked the following recipe just a bit, Citrus-kissed Chicken Fingers , found in the kid friendly section, to make GFCF. My kids really like them and they freeze well. If I make these to freeze, I spread the chicken fingers out on a pan, freeze, then put the frozen chicken fingers into dinner-sized portions in freezer bags. Place the chicken on your lightly oiled pan (still frozen) and bake at 325-350 until cooked through. It takes about 30 min or so when baked from frozen, if I remember correctly.
The Recipe: Citrus-kissed Chicken Fingers
- 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1/2 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups honey frosted flakes cereal, crushed into crumbs (be sure GFCF! We often use<a title="http://www.naturespath.com/products/" href="http://www.naturespath.com/products/" data-mce-href="http://www.naturespath.com/products/"> Mesa Sunrise</a><span class="style_1"> cereal to make it less sweet. And ya gotta love that flax seed!)</span>
- 2/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut, be sure to use unsweetened
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten & dairy free curry powder, my addition that we just love!
- In a resealable bag, toss the chicken together with the orange juice concentrate and half of the garlic. Marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for 2 to 8 hours, turning occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and lightly grease or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs. In a large bowl, combine the frosted flake crumbs, coconut, brown sugar and remaining garlic. Drizzle the melted butter over the coating and mix thoroughly.
- With one hand, dip each chicken piece into the egg, shaking off any drips, and place in the frosted flake mixture. With the other hand, pat the coating on both sides of the chicken and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining chicken fingers. Bake for 12–14 minutes at 400 degree F oven or until crisped, browned and cooked through.
- To freeze: Bake chicken for only 10 minutes. Allow to cool. Freeze cooled chicken on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper or parchment until firm. Place chicken into a freezer safe container separated with wax paper. Remove as much air as possible, seal, label and freeze.
- To serve: Place chicken on baking sheet and cook in a preheated 400 degree oven until heated through and crisp, about 10 minutes.