Beef Roast and Vegetables in a Slow Cooker
This is an easy meal to have your kiddos help prep for dinner. Younger children may need a little help with this recipe, but the effort will be worth it. This one-pot meal is ready when everyone comes home from after-school activities and work.
Author: Angela Litzinger at test.angelaskitchen.com adapted form the Family Nutrition Program at Kansas Stat University Research and Extension
Recipe type: gluten free, dairy free, gfcf, beef, slow cooker
- 4 meduim potatoes
- 4 medium carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 2 to 2½ pound beef round roast, pre-browned by a grown up
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup gluten free beef stock, tomato juice, red wine or water (water would be my very last option if nothing else was on hand)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Remember to wash your hands.
- Peel potatoes, using a vegetable peeler; rinse and cut into 2 inch chunks.
- Peel carrots, rinse and cut into 1-inch slices.
- Peel onion, rinse and cut into rings.
- Season meat with salt and pepper. (My kids usually add sage and thyme as well. Yum! ½ teaspoon each.)
- Place roast in center of slow cooker that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Wash your hands with soap and water. Place potatoes, carrots and onions around the roast. Add enough water to barely cover vegetables; add vinegar.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on the low temperature setting for 8 to 10 hours or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.