Homemade Beef Breakfast Sausage
A few weeks ago we became the proud owners of 137.5 pounds of grass fed beef. This is what a quarter of a cow weighed. This is a lot of cow, but I couldn’t be more thrilled to have a nicely filled freezer full of tastiness. Mmmm… I have a nice homemade turkey sausage, but because I have such a nice amount of grass fed ground beef on hand I knew I needed to come up with a good beef breakfast sausage. And, because it is how I roll, I put instructions in so you can mix this up and freeze your sausage ahead of time if you choose.
Printable freezer labels for Beef Breakfast Sausage.
Printable recipe card for multiple batches of Beef Breakfast Sausage for the freezer.
The Recipe: Homemade Beef Breakfast Sausage
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or maple syrup, optional
- 2 teaspoons dried ground sage
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 to 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until well blended. Divide beef mixture into 16 patties. Cook in a lightly oiled pan until cooked through.
- To freeze: After mixing and shaping into patties freeze on a baking sheet lined with plastic wrap until firm. After the patties are frozen, place in a freezer bag separated with waxed paper. Remove as much air as possible, seal, label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw or cook from frozen in a lightly oiled pan until cooked through.
Pingback: Menu Plan Monday – February 4, 2013
Pingback: Weekly Gluten-Free Menu Plan with Beef
I made this a few days ago at my parent’s place.
We ground our own beef at home and I used premium cut for this.
I couldn’t find any dried marjoram or sage so I used fresh herbs.
Mistakenly added 2 tspn marjoram instead of 1/2 a tspn.
Added way too much salt and it turned out pretty salty but this breakfast sausage was still a hit.
My very extremely picky Arab-raised-in-Indonesia-awesome-chef-grandmother even gave her thumbs up and so did my husband and siblings.
For some weird reason I could not give it higher than 3 stars.
I would give this recipe 5 stars.
I’m making this again today.
Tried your sausage recipe this morning and we liked it very well! Instead of red pepper flakes, I used cayenne so it would be better distributed into the mixture of spices.