Homemade Beef Breakfast Sausage
A few weeks ago we became the proud owners of 137.5 pounds of grass fed beef. This is what a quarter of a cow weighed. This is a lot of cow, but I couldn’t be more thrilled to have a nicely filled freezer full of tastiness. Mmmm… I have a nice homemade turkey sausage, but because I have such a nice amount of grass fed ground beef on hand I knew I needed to come up with a good beef breakfast sausage. And, because it is how I roll, I put instructions in so you can mix this up and freeze your sausage ahead of time if you choose.
The Recipe: Homemade Beef Breakfast Sausage
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or maple syrup, optional
- 2 teaspoons dried ground sage
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/8 to 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl until well blended. Divide beef mixture into 16 patties. Cook in a lightly oiled pan until cooked through.
- To freeze: After mixing and shaping into patties freeze on a baking sheet lined with plastic wrap until firm. After the patties are frozen, place in a freezer bag separated with waxed paper. Remove as much air as possible, seal, label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw or cook from frozen in a lightly oiled pan until cooked through.