OXO Cookies for Kids Cancer – Gluten Free Dairy Free Blondie Jumbles
On just a week, I’ll be heading off to Mixed. I am THRILLED to be attending. There has been a lot of fun build up to the conference with contests, and twitter, etc. One of the sponsors, OXO, makers of all sorts of awesome things for your home (my favorite right now is the Water Bottle Cleaning Set), has a great fundraiser that I am particularly excited about: Cookies for Kids Cancer. Cookies for Kids’ Cancer was founded by two OXO employees inspired by their 2-year old son’s battle with cancer. It provides inspiration, ideas and support for people everywhere to help fight pediatric cancer – through the simple concept of local bake sales. LOVE! Check out the OXO Good Cookies site for tips and trick for running a bake sale in support of this great cause.
Often at bake sales there aren’t gluten free items, so I had to make a delicious blondie to rectify that. 🙂 You could go old school and simply add 1 1/2 cups gluten free dairy free chocolate chips to the batter before baking, however this version is kicked up with a festive crispy topping of chocolate chips, coconut, pecans and dried cherries or cranberries. Instead of baking in a pan and slicing into bars, Gluten Free Dairy Free Blondie Jumbles are baked in foil muffin cups for individual sized treats for ease of packaging for you bake sale.
The Recipe: Gluten Free Dairy Free Blondie Jumbles
- 2/3 cups gluten & dairy free semisweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 sweetened flaked coconut
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans, walnuts are delicious, too!
- 2/3 cups dried cherries or cranberries
- 1/2 cup room temperature gluten free dairy free margarine
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons gluten free vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups brown rice flour
- 7 tablespoons potato starch
- 3 1/2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon xanthum gum or guar gum
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with foil muffin liners. Set pan aside.
- In a bowl, mix together chocloate chips, coconut, pecans and dried cherries, set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together margarine and brown sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well. Whisk together the brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and xanthan. Add flour mixture to egg mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in 1 cup of the chocolate chips/coocnut mixture.
- Divide batter among 15 muffin cups, filling each about three-quarters full. Sprinkle remaining chocolate/coconut mixture over tops. Bake blondies until a cake tester inserted into center comes out with a few crumbs but is not wet, about 30-35 minutes.
- Blondies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.