Gluten Free Dairy Free Holiday Cookie Countdown – Russian Tea Cakes
My grandma called these Russian Tea Cakes and they (along with her Paris Wafers) were my very favorite Christmas cookie that she made. When I got older I had friends who’s favorite cookies were Mexican Wedding Cakes (or Cookies) and Snowball Cookies. They turned our to be the same cookie, except sometimes people use walnuts instead of pecans. So, what do you call them? I call them delicious!
The Recipe: Gluten Free Dairy Free Holiday Cookie Countdown - Russian Tea Cakes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts, I like pecans, but walnuts are great, too
- 2/3 cup baker's sugar
- 1 cup gluten and dairy free margarine, or also soy free, if needed
- 1 large egg, for egg free: 1 T ground golden flax mixed with 3 T hot water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon gluten free vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely ground rice flour
- 10 tablespoons sorghum flour
- 5 1/2 tablespoons potato starch
- 5 1/2 tablespoons tapioca flour/starch
- 3 tablespoons corn starch or arrowroot flour/starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten free baking powder, plus 1/4 teaspoon more if using flax instead of egg
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Place the chopped nuts on a baking sheet and baked for about 5 minutes, or until lightly brown and fragrant. Watch closely. Allow to cool while assembling the rest of the dough.
- In a mixing bowl cream sugar and margarine until fluffy. Add egg(or flax replacer) and vanilla. Beat well. In another bowl, combine the rice flour, sorghum flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, corn starch, xanthan gum, salt and baking powder. Mix well. Add flour mixture to the sugar mixture in mixing bowl. Beat until combined. Scrape down mixing bowl and mix again until all combined. Add toasted nuts and mix until combined. Chill dough for one hour.
- Roll one tablespoon of dough into balls and bake 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees F. Leave on baking sheet to cool for 3 minutes then carefully roll in powdered sugar.
- Place on cooling rack to cool completely. Roll in powdered sugar a second time after cookies have cooled.
Pingback: Thumbprint Cookies and Recipe Roundup
Pingback: Gluten & Dairy Free Christmas Cookie Countdown 2012