I am sharing Teriyaki Chicken over at OAMM today. Stop by and say “Hi!”
* * * * * *
When I was growing up out in the burbs in Minnesota, teriyaki chicken was one of the super fancy foods we would get sometimes when we went out to eat. I loved the salty/sweet/savory flavor contrasts and still do. When I found this recipe while poking around the web, I knew I had a winner. This Gluten Free Dairy Free Teriyaki Chicken is fast to make for a dinner (less than 30 minutes!), but I really love how it shines as a lunch box meal. Opening up your thermos bowl to a yummy hot teriyaki meal beats a sandwich on a cold day. I feel like I am sending a hug along with my kids to school when I can send a warm lunch with them during the winter. It definitely is a tasty mid-day pick up. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more if needed
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 2½ cups broccoli, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ¼ cup water or gluten free chicken stock
- ½ cup gluten free soy sauce
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup water or gluten free chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Make enough rice or quinoa to serve with your meal. Heat oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper, then stir fry until brown it and set aside on plate.
- In the hot skillet stir fry the carrots, broccoli, and onions until crisp-tender. Add garlic and stir fry until fragrant. Add chicken to the skillet with the vegetables. Add in two thirds of the water or stock, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Bring to boil. Stir together remaining water or stock with the corn starch. Set aside until liquid in pan is at a boil, then add the cornstarch mixture and stir constantly until thickened. Serve over rice or quinoa.
- Freezing Directions: To freeze for lunches: Divide rice into lunch sized freezer containers. Set aside. Allow rice and chicken mixture to cool. Divide chicken and vegetable mixture over rice. Seal, label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw. Heat until warmed through.