This is from the Gluten Free Dairy Free November 2011 Mini Freezer Menus. I have adapted it from how it was originally posted on OAMM recipe cards to how I really serve it for my family. Enjoy!
Turkey Shepherd's Pie with Cauliflower Puree
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 20 ounces ground turkey
- 1/2 medium bell pepper red, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 medium bell pepper green, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 2 tablespoon gluten free Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- one head cauliflower cut into small flowerettes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sweet rice flour
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free chicken stock
- 1/2 cup frozen peas thawed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn thawed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup gluten and dairy free unsweetened milk substitute of choice
- In a large skillet heat the first amount olive oil and add the onions, peppers, and ground turkey breast. Break-up the turkey and brown while adding pepper, salt, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and Worcestershire sauce. When turkey is no longer pink, add the carrots and celery. Toss to combine and reduce heat to love and cover to cook the carrots – about 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the cauliflower in a steamer pan with 1 ½ inches of water in the bottom. Cover and steam until soft and mash-consistency.
- While the cauliflower is steaming, you’ll start the sauce for the pie. In the sauté pan, remove the cover and increase heat to medium. Push the turkey mixture to the side and add second amount of olive oil and the sweet rice flour stirring to combine and gradually mixing with the turkey. Stir for 30 seconds and add chicken broth. Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until thickened 2-3 minutes. Add the corn and peas and toss to combine. Taste for seasoning adding a little more salt and pepper as needed. Reduce heat to the lowest simmer.
- When the cauliflower is ready, drain and return to pan. Season with salt and pepper and toss. Add third amount of olive oil and milk substitute and mash with hand masher. Season with salt and pepper, mixing to combine to finish.
- Put turkey mixture into 9x13" pan and top with the cauliflower mash spreading to cover the turkey completely. Allow to cool. Wrap well with foil. Label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until brown and bubbly. Let sit for 15 minutes before serving to set.