If you are here for my Menu Plan Monday post, it is over at Once a Month Mom this week. Stop by and say “Hi!”
* * * * *
It is time for the October Secret Recipe Club reveal day! I just started the group last month and am loving it. You simply choose any recipe from the blog you are assigned, make or bake it, and blog about it. It is a great way to learn about other blogs and “meet” new bloggy friends.
For October’s Secret Recipe Club I was assigned Patsy’s blog, Family, Friends and Food. As I searched on her blog for something yummy to make, I realized I had to narrow down my choices. There were just too many tasty things on there! I decided to make something that I could take with us on our trip as a fun treat. I found Chocolate Chip-Peanut Butter Blondies, and I knew I had a winner!
Of course, as we have the goofy immune systems, I altered her recipe to be gluten and dairy free. Next time I make it, I am increasing the peanut butter in the below recipe to make that stand out more, which means I need to reduce another fat or liquid. This is NOT a fault of the original recipe, but due to a short amount of time on my part and the weirdness that can happen with gluten-free baking chemistry. I was trying to keep the texture good (blondies are chewy and moist, like brownies), not have them crumble and yet still stay soft, and these needed to be portable. When I find a good peanut butter balance for the gluten free version, I will update the recipe at that time. As a quick fix for the gluten free, dairy free people out there, add some chopped roasted peanuts to the batter and that should take cake of any peanuty desires. 🙂
We loved these and will be making them again – and again and again! It is a perfect treat for kids (and moms) to come home to. Thank you, Patsy, for such a great recipe! Check out her blog, Family Friends and Food, for more delicious inspiration.
Gluten Free Dairy Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies
- 1/2 cup natural no-stir style peanut butter I used chunky
- 1/3 cup shortening I use organic palm oil shortening
- 1 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened gluten and dairy free milk substitute I used almond milk
- 1 tablespoon gluten free vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups bean flour blend or 1/2 cup garbfava flour, 1/4 cup sorghum flour, 3/4 cup corn or potato starch, and 3/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup gluten and dairy free chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped roasted peanuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix bean flour blend, xanthan, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a bowl and whisk well.
- Cream together palm oil and brown sugar in another bowl. Add eggs one at a time, blending well after each addition. Add vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients to mixing bowl; mix well. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Press batter evenly into a lightly oiled 9 x 13″ pan. Bake for about 30 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting.