For this smoothie, you have to prepare part of it ahead of time, but it is worth it! Mmmmm… it’s like strawberry-rhubarb pie in a glass! Cook up the rhubarb sauce part of the smoothie ahead of time, then put in the refrigerator to cool. If you would like to make a large batch of the rhubarb sauce to freeze ahead of time, after it cools put the sauce into an ice cube tray to freeze. After the rhubarb freezes, pop out and place into a freezer bag. Use the frozen cubes in your smoothie and blend. The smoothie will be very thick due to the frozen cubes, so you may need more coconut milk to thin enough to blend.
The Recipe: Strawberry-Rhubarb Smoothie
- 3/4 cup chopped rhubarb
- 1 tablespoon sugar or sweetener of choice
- 2 tablespoons water, white grape juice or apple juice
- 1 frozen banana, broken into chunks
- 4 to 6 fresh or frozen strawberries
- 2 to 4 tablespoons coconut or almond milk
- 3/4 teaspoon gluten free vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a saucepan, cook rhubarb, sugar and water (or juice) until it boils. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the rhubarb is tender and has broken down. Allow to cool down, and refrigerate until ready to make your smoothie.
- When you are ready to make your smoothie, place all ingredients in a blender. Cover and blend ingredients until smooth. You can adjust the consistency by adding ice if it’s too thin or more liquid if it’s too thick. Add more sweetener, if needed. Pour in glasses.