Apple, Veggie & Sausage Quiche, Gluten Free Dairy Free
Quiche is a dish that can be made with so many different flavor combinations and still be delicious. It is also an easy, economical meal to be used as breakfast, lunch or a dinner. You can bake up a full-sized quiche, like I did here, or bake mini-quiches in muffin tins. I pre-make and freeze the muffin-sized quiches for an easy grab-n-go, high-protein breakfast for my kiddos to snag as they stumble to the bus in the morning.
I hope you enjoy this as much as we do. I’ll make and take a pic of the muffins sized ones soon, so you can see how they turn out. 🙂
The Recipe: Gluten Free Dairy Free Apple & Veggie Sausage Quiche
- 1 large potato or sweet potato or a mix, grated (I like using half of each kind of potato)
- 2 shallots or one medium sweet onions shredded, divided
- 1 egg, separated into white and yolk
- 1/2 pound sausage of choice, pork, turkey, etc. I like using homemade turkey sausage.
- 1 large cooking apple, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 cup roasted bell peppers, diced
- 3/4 cup lightly packed finely chopped greens of choice, spinach, kale, chard, etc.
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 cup shredded gluten and dairy free cheese substitute, optional
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup plain unsweetened dairy free milk substitute of choice
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine potato, egg white and half of shallots. Press mixture into an oiled pie pan. Bake for about 15 minutes, until edges are brown.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Cook sausage. Add apple and remaining shallots, cooking until apples are tender but not falling apart. Add maple syrup and toss with sausage and apple mixture. Place sausage mixture on potato crust and spread out evenly. Sprinkle cheese substitute, if using over filling. Sprinkle on greens. You can also mix greens in with sausage filling, if you prefer.
- Beat eggs and egg yolk with salt and pepper to taste. Carefully pour eggs over filling. Bake until eggs are set, about 25 minutes.
- Freezing Directions: Allow to cool. Wrap well in freezer safe wrap, label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw and heat through.