With all the heavy food this time of year, I wanted to get a few lighter things onto our plates and into the freezer for another meal. Lemon-kissed fish with some spinach and mushrooms are just the thing! I found the recipe for the spinach and mushrooms on CASA Veneracion and adapted it for freezing and tweeked the flavors a bit for our tastes. Thanks for the awesome inspiration, Connie!
Lemon Tilapia with Spinach and Mushrooms
- 6 - 6 ounce tilapia fillets
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 3 1/3 cups onion thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 16 ounces mushrooms cleaned and quartered
- 6 cups fresh cleaned spinach
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon or thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Cook tilapia, seasoning with salt and pepper, until golden and cooked through. Set fish into one side of freezer pan.
- In same skillet as tilapia was cooked, sauté onions until they are translucent. Add garlic and cook while stirring for one minute. Add mushrooms and tarragon or thyme. Cook, continuing to stir fry until mushrooms have released their juices and are cooked. Add spinach. Stir fry spinach just until wilted. Turn off heat. Season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with lemon juice. Toss to mix flavors. Put spinach- mushroom mixture on the other side of the freezer pan. Allow to cool. Seal removing as much air as possible, label, and freeze. Or divide and freeze in separate lunch sized freezer containers.
- To serve: Thaw. Heat through.