If you would like this to be a vegan dish, do not add chicken. Add 3 cans drained and rinsed chickpeas and 3 cups chopped cauliflower. Replace chicken stock with veggie stock.
Gluten Free Dairy Free Chicken and Vegetable Curry
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3/4 cups chopped onion 3/4”-1” pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, 1” pieces
- 3/4 cups chopped green pepper 3/4”-1” pieces
- 4 1/2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2- inch peice of ginger peeled and grated
- 3 cups gluten free chicken stock
- 14.5 oz can coconut milk not low fat
- 2 cups fresh or frozen green beans sometimes I use a yellow bean, green bean and baby carrot mix
- 1/2 cup golden raisins optional
- 2 to 2 1/2 tablespoons of curry powder be sure gluten free
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large pot heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add chicken to pan. Cook until chicken just begins to brown. Add peppers, garlic and ginger, cooking for 2-3 more minutes. Add stock, coconut milk, beans, raisins and curry powder. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced and thickened slightly, and chicken and veggies are very tender, this can take 30 to 45 minutes. Add salt and pepper, if needed.
- Variation: I add what ever veggies are in season that can handle a long simmer in place of the green beans: winter squash, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, summer squash, kale, etc. or a mix of them. I usually do not use delicate greens (unless you stir in at the end), or broccoli (I don’t like mushy broccoli), snow peas, etc. that would turn to mush. Drained and rinsed chickpeas are also a nice addition. Sometimes we sprinkle roasted cashews or pepitas (pumpkin seeds) over the top when serving.
- To freeze: Divide and place in a 9"x13" pan, or a gallon zip-closure freezer bags. Cover and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw. If in pan, uncover and bake at 375 for 15 minutes. Turn/stir the chicken and bake for another 15 minutes. If in bag, pour into pan and heat through. Serve over rice, quinoa, or gluten free pasta.