Gluten Free Dairy Free Baked Penne and Broccoli
Author: adapted by Angela Litzinger at test.angelaskitchen.com from Rachel @ coconutlime.blogspot.com
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 ounces diced canned tomatoes
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoons fresh basil
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 pound gluten free penne pasta noodles
- 2 cups frozen chopped broccoli
- half recipe of “cheese sauce” of choice (or 1½ cups gluten and dairy free cheese sub of choice)
- Cook pasta according to package directions, except slightly undercook (If using Tinkyada pasta, I use the “eco friendly” directions and allow to soak in the boiling water for about 16 minutes instead of 20). Rinse with cold water to cool and stop cooking, drain well, toss with a bit of olive oil. Set aside.
- For the tomato sauce: In a stock pot, heat oil. Add garlic, onion and shallot and sauté for about 3 minutes or until just beginning to brown. Add the tomatoes crushed red pepper flakes, and green onions and bring to a low boil. Lower heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add basil. Stir to combine and add salt and pepper to taste. Add cooked pasta, frozen broccoli (do not thaw broccoli – it will help cool down the dish) and 1 cup of “cheese sauce”. Mix. Add salt and pepper if needed. Divide mixture into 4 greased deep dish 8x8 baking dishes. Evenly dividing between the pans, drizzle with the remaining “cheese sauce”. Cover with foil and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw. Uncover and bake at 350 until just browned and bubbly hot, about 30 minutes. If frozen bake covered for 350 minutes with foil still on, then uncover and bake about 30 more minutes.