Slow Cooker Carnitas
This recipe rocks my world! There is a certain restaurant around who serves up burritos with pork carnitas, or you can get a burrito bowl if you are gluten free, like me (make sure they change gloves and wash their hands, though). And while super tasty, the cross contamination risk worries me. Our milage has varied on whether we will get sick or not, so I wanted a different solution to a tasty meal.
Enter my favorite appliance to save the day! Simply pop a pork roast in the slow cooker with some spices and tastiness, cover and let cook on low. When tender, shred the pork with two forks and you have yourself something to rave about. Tender, juicy carnitas, made at home. Excuse me… I need to go get a bigger bowl!
The Recipe: Slow Cooker Carnitas
- 1½ tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt, or more to taste
- ½ teaspoon gluten free chili powder
- 3 pounds pork shoulder or pork butt roast
- 10 cloves garlic
- ½ cup orange juice, fresh preferred-about 1 large orange
- ¼ cup lime juice, fresh preferd-about 1 large lime
- ¼ cup gluten free beef broth
- Combine the salt, cumin, and chili powder. Rub mixture all over roast.
- Transfer roast to a 6 quart slow cooker. Add the garlic cloves. Pour juices and both over all.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, or until pork if tender enough to shred easily with a fork. Remove meat to a rimmed platter.
- Using 2 forks, shred meat, discarding any extra fat. Return meat to slow cooker, stirring into juices.
- If you prefer your carnitas to get crispy bits, spread the meat in a single thin layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil, keeping an eye on it so it does not burn, until the edges are crisping to your desired level.
- To Freeze: Cool and package in a freezer-safe zip closure bag, removing as much air as possible. Seal and label before freezing.
- To Serve: Thaw. Heat through. Serve in a gluten free wrap with your favorite taco, burrito or fajita toppings.