I love quinoa. Being a nutritional powerhouse while being gluten free at the same time? Total bonus. Thank you, quinoa. This simple quinoa pilaf is a nice chance of pace when you want something different from the usual rice pilaf. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red sweet yellow onion or large shallot, minced
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa rinsed and drained very well
- 2 cups gluten free chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley or cilantro
- Heat oil in a sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until just softened. Add garlic and quinoa, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add broth and salt. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in cranberries, cover again and cook until liquid is completely absorbed and quinoa is tender, about 8 to 10 minutes more. Toss with almonds and parsley before serving.