Cassoulet, Slow Cooker
This isn’t authentic cassoulet by any means, however, I generally don’t have a duck laying around in my fridge. This does the trick for us and is very tasty and easy.
For more slow cooking fun, head on over to Sandra’s blog.
The Recipe: Slow Cooker Cassoulet
- 8 oz. kielbasa, halved lenghtwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (be sure GFCF, nitrate free prefered)
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 20 oz pkg boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 1/2 cups baby carrots, or enough carrots to equal, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 green or red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 15-oz. cans Cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 can, 14.5 oz Italian style tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 t allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- 2 cups fresh packed spinach, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large skillet; add the sausage pieces and sauté 1-2 minutes, just to release a little of the fat.
- Add the chicken and sauté another 1-2 minutes until lightly colored. Chicken into the slow cooker.
- Add the carrots, peppers, onions and garlic to the pan, pour in 1/2 cup of the chicken broth and cook for 2 minutes, scraping the bottom. Remove from the heat and put into slow cooker with chicken and sausage. Stir in the beans and undrained tomatoes.
- In a separate bowl combine the rest of the chicken broth, white wine, thyme and red pepper. Pour into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high 3-1/2 to 4 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in fresh parsley and spinach.
- Serve with some crusty gluten free bread and a green salad.
Slow Cooker Thursday: Cassoulet
Thursday, May 3, 2007
Pingback: Menu Plan Monday – November 7, 2011 | Angela's Kitchen
Pingback: Gluten Free Dairy Free April 2012 Menu | OAMC from Once A Month Mom
Love the picture of you and your kids!! Gonna give this won’t a try. Yum!!! :0)
Pingback: Slow Cooker Thursday: Cassoulet | Angela’s Kitchen
Pingback: Menu Plan Monday – April 22, 2013 | Start Gluten Free