The recipe has the ingredients for one recipe worth on the left and the ingredient amounts times three on the right if you want to have a couple pre-made meals for the freezer.
Orange Beef Lettuce Wraps
- 1 cup matchstick cut carrots
- 1 ½ lbs. boneless steak I got bottom round on sale
- 1 T cornstarch
- 2 T oil I use olive
- 1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup green onions thinly sliced, including green tops
- 1 8 oz. can water chestnuts, cut into matchsticks
- 3 T frozen orange juice concentrate thawed
- 3 T hoisin sauce be sure GFCF
- 3 T. rice wine vinegar
- 3 T low sodium soy sauce be sure GFCF
- 2 T packed brown sugar
- 1 T cornstarch
- ½ t fresh grated ginger or paste
- ¼ t pepper
- Serving day:
- 2 heads Boston lettuce leaves separated, rinsed and dried
- mung bean sprouts
- chopped peanuts or cashews
- diced cucumbers shredded bok choy, etc.
- cooked rice
- I normally multiply this by three – get three times the ingredients and eat one for dinner and freeze two.
- Cut steak into pieces 3” long and 1/8 inch thick. In bowl, combine sliced steak and cornstarch. Toss to coat and set aside. In another bowl combine sauce ingredients and set aside.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat half of oil over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and stir-fry until just crisp-tender. Stir in water chestnuts, remove mixture from pan and set aside to cool.
- Add rest of oil to pan and heat. Working in batches, stir-fry meat and crushed chili pepper flakes, until browned on all sides, being careful not to overcook. As a batch of meat is cooked, remove from pan and set aside to cool while another batch of meat is being stir-fried. A 9×13 pan works well for this.
- After the last batch of meat is cooked and removed from pan, lower heat to medium and pour orange sauce mixture into pan. Whisk sauce, scraping any brown bits in pan and cook until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and cool sauce.
- Assemble bags: Set up two freezer bag with “orange beef mix,” the date, and reheating instructions written on it. You will also need a pan to warm tonight’s dinner. I divide the cooled carrots mix, cooked beef, green onions, and sauce by three, one part in each bag and one part in the pan. Squeeze out all the air from the bags, flatten and freeze.
- To eat: Thaw and heat over medium low heat until heated through. Put a small amount of meat mixture onto a lettuce leaf and top with desired toppings. Fold over leaf and eat. Serve with rice if desired.