I do like lemon! This is one of my favorite desserts. It is a combination for several recipes until I found the balance we liked. I hope you like it as much as we do.
I use my gluten free dairy free pie crust for this recipe.
Gluten Free Dairy Free Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 unbaked gluten & dairy free 9-inch pie shell I make sure the crust has a high fluted edge
- Lemon Filling:
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 6 egg yolks from large eggs slightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest finely grated
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons gluten and dairy free margarine or 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Meringue Topping:
- 6 room temperature egg whites from large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Prick the bottom and sides of the unbaked crust with a fork. Line with pie weights and bake at 400°F for 5 minutes. Set aside on a cooling rack while preparing rest of recipe. Lower oven temperature to 350°F.
- Prepare lemon filling: In a medium-size heavy saucepan, mix first measurement of sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add water, whisking until well blended. Bring mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly; cook 3 minutes. Remove mixture from heat. While whisking constantly, slowly drizzle about half of the hot mixture into egg yolks. Slowly pour egg yolk mixture back into the remainder of the hot mixture in sauce pan, whisking constantly. Return saucepan to heat.
- Bring mixture to a simmer, whisking constantly, cooking 3 minutes. Add lemon zest, lemon juice, and margarine. Lower heat, slightly. Cook about 2 minutes more, stirring with a rubber spatula in a circular motion, being careful not to allow mixture to stick to the bottom of the pan. Filling will be very thick and spatula will leave a track when drawn through filling. Cover saucepan and remove from heat. Keep filling warm, by wrapping saucepan with a towel.
- Prepare meringue topping: Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Add the second measure of sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, while continuing to beat egg whites. Beat in vanilla with the last tablespoon of sugar. Continue beating until egg whites hold a soft peak.
- Time to assemble pie: If filling has cooled, reheat while stirring constantly, before spooning into baked pie shell. Smooth filling into an even layer. Starting around the edge of pie, gently spoon meringue over lemon filling. Swirl meringue in desired pattern, making sure meringue touches fluting on pie shell and all lemon filling is covered. Bake in preheated 350°F oven 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown.
- Cool pie for at least 4 hours at room temperature before serving.