Tortilla and Black Bean Pie
I make this recipe in two 6″ springform pans. Yep, I have two. Um, actually three- doesn’t everybody? You see, I like small and cute desserts but if you have a family that eats like mine does, you will need more than one little pan to make sure everyone gets a bite. (I can justify any number of baking pan and cookie cutter purchases, trust me.) Despite having a weakness for baking pans I am still a frugal girl. I purchases more acceptable if I can find more than one use for them, which is where the recipe for Tortilla and Black Bean Pie comes in. A 6″ springform pan (I got mine for $5 on sale) is just the right size for a 6″ gluten free corn tortilla, making it the perfect to build all kinds of delicious fun. Woo-hoo!
The Recipe: Tortilla & Black Bean Pie
- 8 6 " gluten free corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cans, 15 ounces each black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup gluten free salsa
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 4 green onions, scallions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups gluten & dairy free cheese substitute, shredded (I like melting and drizzling on my Cashew Cheesy Sauce or Easy Pizza "Cheese" for this)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Assemble 2 6" springform pans with the bottoms upside down. Lightly oil the bottom and sides of pans; set aside.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil and cook onions until translucent. Add beans, salsa, corn, garlic, cumin, and salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Place one tortilla in the bottom of each prepared pan. Dividing between the two pans, spread a third of the bean mixture, then 1/2 cup dairy free cheese (1/4 cup in each pan). Repeat with two more layers. Top with the last tortilla, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese substitute.
- Bake at 400 degrees F until the top is lightly browned and everything is heated through, about 15 minutes. Run a sharp knife around edge of pan and remove sides. Sprinkle extra green onions on top for garnish. Cut into wedges using a serrated knife and top with your favorite toppings , such as salsa or guacamole.