Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
I missed Slow Cooker Thursday last week, but I am back! Head on over to Sandra’s blog and see what people are using their crock pots for.
This is super tasty. We started using this recipe a couple of years ago. It was also the star tasty treat at my Dad’s surprise birthday bash last year. This recipe was not originally for the crock pot, but it works great.
If you have any around, boneless skinless thighs hold up better for long cooking in the crock pot and work really well in this application. I do like to precook the onions first in olive oil until golden and just starting to carmelize as I think it adds a nice flavor to the chili. I have also just tossed everything into the slow cooker, including using raw chopped chicken instead of cooked, and let it cook until done. If doing this, layer the onions, garlic, and chicken on the bottom of the crock first so they will cook more evenly and be right by the heat source. Then put the rest of the ingredients on top.
This makes a huge pot! I use my 6 quart slow cooker.
The Recipe: Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- 3 T olive oil
- 2 pounds chopped chicken meat, or same amount uncooked, chopped
- 2 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (or 6 cloves of ROASTED garlic. Yum!)
- 4 cups gluten free chicken broth or stock
- 2 18.75 ounce cans tomatillos, drained and chopped
- 2 16 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 2 7 ounce cans diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 15 ounce cans white beans (drained and rinsed)
- 10 oz. frozen corn
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil. Sauté onion until softened.
- Put every thing into 6 quart crockpot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. If using uncooked chicken, check the chicken is cooked through. Stir before serving.
- Serve with these toppings for people to choose from: limes, cilantro, avocado, and tortilla chips.
- To freeze uncooked: After sautéing onion, put all ingredients into a gallon sized freezer bag and mix. Remove as much air as possible, seal, label and freeze.
- To serve from uncooked: Thaw. Pour into a 6 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- To freeze after cooking: After chili is cooked, allow to cool. Package in a gallon sized freezer bag or in individual lunch sized containers. Remove as much air as possible, label and freeze.
- To serve after cooking: Thaw. Warm until heated through.