It is stuffing in the bird and dressing baked in a dish. I usually make it as dressing as I like the turkey to bake up more juicy and keep everything safer by baking it outside of the bird. You can use any gluten and dairy free bread, but I like to use my gluten and dairy free herbed stuffing bread in this. I hope you enjoy it!
Gluten Free Dairy Free Roasted Garlic, Sage, and Sausage Dressing or Stuffing
- 8 cups stuffing bread cut into ½ -3/4 inch cubes
- 9 tablespoons oil plus more for pan
- ¾ cup carrots peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 cups onion cut into 1/4-inch diced
- 1 ½ cups celery strings removed, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 1/2 pounds gluten and dairy free sausage of choice sweet or spicy, casing removed
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped sage
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper plus more to taste
- 3 to 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 ½ cups crisp apple diced
- 3 bulbs roasted garlic**
- 1 cup chestnuts walnuts, or pecans, optional
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Oil a 9-by-13-inch baking dish; set aside. In a large bowl, combine cornbread and rice, and set aside. In a large skillet, heat 5 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add carrots, and saute until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add onion and celery, and saute until onions are translucent, 8 to 10 minutes. Combine vegetables and bread mixture.
- In same skillet, saute sausage over medium heat, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon to break up large pieces, until browned and cooked through, about 8 minutes. Remove sausage with slotted spoon; mix with cornbread mixture, along with poultry seasoning, sage, salt, and pepper. Discard rendered fat from skillet. Add stock, 1 cup at a time; mix. (You may not need all stock.) Stuffing should be well moistened.
- Squeeze garlic from skins; mix gently into bread mixture; keep them whole. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Drizzle remaining 4 tablespoons oil over top of stuffing. Bake until top is golden and stuffing is heated through, 45 to 50 minutes.
- To make ahead: Make recipe as directed. Cover well and refrigerate (up to 2 days ahead) or freeze if making farther ahead. Before baking, thaw, if needed. To reheat, bring to room temperature, and cover; bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove cover; bake until heated through, about 10 minutes more.
- **To roast the garlic, remove top quarter of bulbs, drizzle bulbs with olive oil, and bake 30 to 35 minutes.