This is the bread I make as the base bread for our family’s Thanksgiving stuffing. I usually make 2 to 3 loaves when I make this – one loaf for stuffing, and one or two to freeze. I let the second one thaw on Thanksgiving night (well wrapped on the counter overnight) and use it to make turkey sandwiches. Mmmm… Turkey sandwiches…
Gluten Free Dairy Free Stuffing Bread
- 2 1/2 cups bean flour blend or 3/4 cup plus 2 T corn or potato starch, 3/4 cup plus 2 T tapioca starch or flour, 1/2 cup garb-fava flour, and 1/4 cup sorghum flour
- 2 tablespoon sugar or sweetener of choice
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon dry active yeast
- 1 teapoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 ½ teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 ½ teaspoon celery seed
- 1 ½ tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 eggs or 1 T ground golden flax + 2 T warm water and 1 ½ eggs worth of EnerG Egg Replacer
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 cup warm rice “milk” other plain milk substitute or water
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Combine dry ingredients (GF flour, sugar, xanthan, yeast and salt) in a mixing bowl. Wisk.
- In the mixing bowl of a heavy-duty mixer, beat eggs until frothy. Add oil, vinegar and most of warm milk substitute to mixing bowl. Blend. Mix in dry ingredients. Check consistency of batter. Add rest of milk substitute if needed. Blend. Beat at high speed for 3 minutes. Scoop dough into an oiled 8 inch x 4 inch bread pan. Smooth dough with oiled hands.
- Let dough rise on top of warm oven, covered with oiled plastic wrap for 30-45 minutes. Do not let dough rise past top of pan or it will be over proofed.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Do not under bake. (For a lighter crust, you may set a piece of foil over the top of the loaf during last half of baking time.)
- To make ahead: Bake bread as directed. Cool. Cut into ½ to ¾ inch cubes and freeze. Thaw when ready to make stuffing.