Pumpkin Biscuits with freezer instructions, Gluten Free Dairy Free
Gluten free biscuits with pumpkin are just the thing to serve with chili, split and filled with thinly sliced turkey, or even topped with sausage gravy for breakfast. Stash some before baking in the freezer, and fresh biscuits can be ready at a moments notice. Enjoy!
The Recipe: Gluten Free Dairy Free Pumpkin Biscuits with freezer instructions.
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour, or more rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons xanthan or guar gum
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold dairy free margarine, such as Earth Balance or 4 tablespoons coconut oil, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 large egg
- 1 to 2 tablespoons unsweetened plain milk substitute
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner. Dust with a bit of rice flour. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Using two knives or forks, cut cold margarine or coconut oil into dry ingredients, until no pieces is larger than a pea. Alternately, using a large grater, grate the margarine into the dry ingredients and mix lightly.
- Mix pumpkin puree with egg and one tablespoon milk substitute. Using a fork, mix wet ingredients into the dry, folding and tossing, just until incorporated. Do mix over mix. You still want the margarine to be in larger bits. Add the second tablespoon of milk substitute only if needed to bring dough together into a ball.
- Put the dough onto baking sheet. Dust your hands with rice flour, and quickly the dough into a rectangle (8" wide along narrower side), approximately 3/4″ thick.
- With a sharp knife, cut the dough into 8 squares (4 by 2). Carefully move the biscuits about 1 " apart.
- Place into hot 450 degree F oven. Lower temperature to 425 degrees F. Bake 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove pan from oven and allow biscuits to sit for 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
- To freeze: After cutting biscuits, carefully move the biscuits about 1" apart. Place the baking sheet into the coldest part of the freezer. When frozen solid, place biscuits into a freezer safe container separated by waxed paper. Remove as much air as possible, seal, label and freeze.
- To serve: Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Place as many biscuits as desired on baking sheet at leaf 1" apart. Put into hot oven and lower temperature to 425 degrees F. Bake 14 - 17 minutes until biscuits are golden and cooked through.