Dixie Crystals Bake It Forward – Gluten Free Dairy Free Ginger Snap Biscotti
Gluten Free Dairy Free Ginger Snap Biscotti are such a delicious way to share the taste of the season with someone else. I am posting these for the Dixie Crystals “Bake It Forward” campaign. I’ll be going to Mixed in a couple of weeks (insert happy dance here) and Dixie Crystals is one of the awesome sponsors for the conference. The Bake it Forward campaign is a chance to make a difference in the world by doing something you love – bake and make someone smile in the process. You can register a tin of baked goods at BakeItForward.com and watch online as your tin heads out on its journey, spreading confection and affection all over the world. You can also follow the fun at the BIF Facebook page. How great is that?
This recipe is a great one to pack in a tin. Gluten & Dairy Free Ginger Snap Biscotti are sturdy enough to handle traveling by mail, yet still have a tender enough bite that you don’t have to dunk them in order to eat them. If you do like to dunk, the spicy-sweet flavors pairs well with cocoa, tea or coffee. The outside is coated in sugar crystals like a ginger snap which gives them a nice finish as is, but to dress them up more try the nutmeg glaze. I love how the two finishes combine to create a glistening finish reminiscent of frosty windowpanes and snow blown drifts. I hope you get a chance bake up a batch of these to send on as a cinnamon-ginger hug for someone special. Enjoy!
The Recipe: Gluten Free Dairy Free Ginger Snap Biscotti
- 1/2 cup corn, potato or arrowroot starch
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 5 tablespoons garbfava flour
- 3 tablespoons sorghum flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum or guar gum
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup packed Dixie Crystals dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon molasses
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons gluten and dairy free unsweetened plain milk substitute of choice, I used almond
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystals granulated sugar
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons gluten & dairy free unsweetened plain milk substitute of choice, I used almond
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a bowl, whisk together the gluten free starches and flours, xanthan gum, baking soda, and spices. In the bowl of your mixer blend brown sugar, molasses, eggs, and milk substitute until combined. Add dry ingredients to wet. Mix thoroughly, scraping down mixer as needed. Put biscotti dough into a covered container in the refrigerator for at least an hour, up to overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat liner. Put about half the granulated sugar on the parchment in a thin even layer where you will put the dough. Using a spatula, scrape the dough onto the sugar. Use wet hands to smooth biscotti dough into a log 3/4" thick and about 14" long. Dust the dough with sugar all around the outside of the biscotti.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 30 to 35 minutes until baked through and edges are just starting to become golden. Allow to cool.
- When completely cooled, slice the biscotti into 1/2" slices (I like to cut biscotti at an angle) using a serrated bread knife. Place slices back onto the baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes on one side, them flip over and bake for 5 minutes more. Allow to cool.
- If glazing, mix together powdered sugar, nutmeg and as much milk substitute as need to make a glaze thick enough to drizzle on the biscotti. Allow glaze to harden completely before packing in a tin.
Pingback: Dixie Crystals Pre Conference Bake It Forward Cookie Contest | mixedcon
Pingback: Vegetarian, Gluten-Free Roundup: Everyone knows the best part of the holidays are all the desserts
Pingback: Ginger Snap Biscotti from Angela’s Kitchen
These look delicious! I’m sure the hint of molasses adds just the perfect flavor. Happy holidays!
Thanks for visiting! This is the season for molasses. Yum!
Pingback: Menu Plan Monday – February 18, 2013 | Start Gluten Free
Pingback: Menu Plan Monday – February 18, 2013