It is time for Secret Recipe Club reveal day! Woo-hoo! What is the Secret Recipe Club? It’s a lot like Secret Santa, but with recipes. Each month you are assigned a blog. After selecting a recipe from that bloggers repertoire, you make and post it on reveal day. It is a great way to find fun recipes and blogs. I like how it gets me to actually sit down and go through another person’s blog. Blogs are a lot of work and take time to put together. Instead of skimming through just the new stuff (as is usually easier when we see a new blog) it is fun to really sit down and go through what else the blog has to offer. Fun stuff!
This time my assignment was Chaya at Bizzy Bakes. For your gluten free families, she has a ton of gluten free recipes. She also has two features called the Lunch Project (with some great lunch time inspiration) and Muffins. An entire section on muffins? Oh yeah, baby… Sign me up! She had so many to choose from (and gluten free, too! LOVE IT!), that I had trouble deciding. Butterscotch Blondie Muffins, Cherry Almond Mini Muffins, Giant Nutty Pear Muffins, Mango Nut, or even Sweet and Sour Meatloaf Muffins. So hard to decide, but I finally picked Avocado Corn Muffins because I was intrigued with the flavor combo. I added a bit more roasted red pepper, tweaked the moisture balance a bit. I used Better Batter Four as the flour blend, because I wasn’t sure what Chaya used, so that might be why I needed to add more liquid. If you have a different blend you use, just add your moisture a bit at a time until it feels right. Anyhoo, try these awesome muffins! They are fabulous with chili or at lunch with smoked turkey. Thank you so much for the recipe, Chaya!
- ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1½ cup gluten-free flour mixture (I used Better Batter)
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened plain milk substitute of choice
- 1 whole avocado
- ⅔ cup roasted red pepper, diced
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Line muffin tin with paper cups (12).
- In a large bowl mix gluten free flour blend (with xanthan or guar gum), cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt and whisk together.
- Peel an avocado and mash until smooth. Add eggs, milk substitute, and avocado to dry ingredients until smooth. Batter will be thick. Add the diced roasted red pepper and fold in until evenly distributed.
- Divide batter into lined muffin cups. Bake muffins for 25 to 28 minutes. Check with toothpick or sharp knife which should come out clean.