Arugula Pesto – Gluten Free-zer Friday

by angelaskitchen on March 18, 2011

I’ve taken a break from Gluten Free-zer Friday while working on some new features for the website.  Hope you find the printer friendly feature helpful!

Join in on Gluten Free-zer Friday:

1. If you would like to participate in Gluten Free-zer Friday, simply email your post link to your gluten free freezer recipe (angelas_kitchenATcomcastDOTnet) or leave a comment below and I will add you to the roundup.

2. Link back to this post on the post with the recipe you have linked.

Head over to MJ’s for Freezer Food Friday. Then, if you have a GF recipe to share that freezes well, come on back and join in on the fun!

My dad brought home a TON of arugula.  Lucky me!  Besides salads and using it as cooked green, I can use arugula to make pesto, which means I can freeze it for latter use.

Printer friendly recipe here.

Arugula Pesto

10 ounces washed and dried young arugula, tough stems removed

4 cloves garlic

2 teaspoons lemon juice

2 teaspoons lemon zest

1/4 cup toasted pine nuts or walnuts

1/2 to 2/3 cup olive oil

Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Place arugula, garlic, lemon juice, zest and  nuts into a food processor or high speed blender.  With the motor running, slowly drizzle olive oil into the mixture. Process until mixture is smooth and blended, scraping down sides often.  This takes 2-4 minutes, depending on your food processor or blender. Generously season with salt and pepper to taste.  The amount of oil used will depend on how much moisture is in your arugula and how loose you like your pesto.  Use as you would basil pesto.

To freeze: I freeze pesto in ice cube trays.  After freezing, pop out the cubes and place in a freezer bag removing as much air as possible before sealing.  Label and freeze.  To use, thaw as many cubes as needed for a recipe.

Don’t forget to join in on my Blog Carnival!  What gluten free recipes do you use to celebrate?

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

mjpuzzlemom March 18, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I have never made pesto.. I need to try this especially with summer coming and fresh herbs coming into season. Thanks for sharing!

MJ

Mercy March 19, 2011 at 4:04 am

I love making pesto bread. I will give this one a go. Thanks for sharing.

angelaskitchen March 21, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Pesto bread sounds yummy! Great idea. Thanks!

fricasse March 21, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Arugula pesto is one of my favourites as I love its pepperiness. Today I made sundried tomato basil pesto. I make many variations of it, using nuts such as walnuts and hazelnuts instead of pine nuts, for example. Sometimes I add sage or mint. It’s yummy as spreads or thinned in pasta sauces. Another favourite is adding a dollop to wild mushroom risotto. Mmmmm!!

angelaskitchen March 21, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Adding it to wild mushroom risotto? I like that idea! Mmmm… Now I can’t wait for morel season!

Tricia March 24, 2011 at 8:16 am

Would love to be a part of Gluten Free zer Friday. Hopefully I can add something soon.

angelaskitchen March 24, 2011 at 9:19 am

It would be great to have you join! Hope to see you soon. :o)

Tracy April 13, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Hi Angela! I made this pesto for dinner tonight, it was great! And I froze some for 2 more dinners. 🙂 I hope you don’t mind if I link to this recipe from my blog. Thanks!

angelaskitchen April 14, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I am glad you liked it! I love getting things into the freezer for future meals. 🙂

I don’t mind the link at all. Link away! Thanks.