Well, my first month of joining Iron Cupcake: Earth has been crazy. I couldn’t get a flickr account started up, my camera is busted (Sorry about the fuzzy photo. I had to take my photo with my phone!), and basically missed the deadline which was today at noon (I knew the deadline was today, but missed the noon part!)… But at least everything will be in place for next month.
What is Iron Cupcake? So glad you asked! Iron Cupcake is the “ultimate world-wide creative cupcake challenge!” Each month an ingredient is announced. Once the ingredient is announced, the baker has four weeks to develop and bake their interpretation of the challenge ingredient. The baker photographs their baking story and then posts about it on their own blog. In your post, please be sure to include reference and a link to the ETSY artist donating that months prize as well as No One Puts Cupcake in a Corner, where all voting will take place. Cool, huh? And there are prizes, too! If you like my Orange Cranberry with Maple “Buttercream” cupcake, please vote for me! Voting begins Nov. 28th!!
And, yes my entry is gluten and dairy free! Woo-hoo!
This Month’s Prizes are:
- LOLLIPOP WORKSHOP - http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5174676
- COOKIE SUNSHINE - http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5474239;
- as well as a pair of cupcake earrings from LOTS OF SPRINKLES at http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6057281.
- PLUS, IronCupcake:Earth is excited to welcome back CAKESPY, http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5243382, who is now going to be doing a piece for our winner each month until further notice - sweet!
- Apron complements of SWEET CUPPIN CAKES BAKERY AND CUPCAKERY SUPPLY,http://www.acupcakery.com/cupcake-pocket-birthday-apron.html.
- HEAD CHEFS by FIESTA PRODUCTS, http://www.fiestaproducts.com,
- HELLO CUPCAKE by Karen Tack and Alan Richardson, http://blog.hellocupcakebook.com
- JESSIE STEELE APRONS http://www.jessiesteele.com
- the CUPCAKE COURIER http://www.cupcakecourier.com
- TASTE OF HOME books, http://www.tasteofhome.com
Iron Cupcake:Earth is sponsored in part by 1-800-Flowers, http://www.1800flowers.com
You can vote Starting November 28th here for the Iron Cupcake Earth Challenge. You will want to check out the amazing cupcakes over there! Wow!
My first thought was to use dried cranberries, but that seemed too much like a muffin to me. So, fresh it was and I just had to pair that with orange. I was concerned that the fresh cranberry flavor flavor would not be as intense in the cupcake, so I topped my cupcake with a cranberry and orange sauce then topped the entire thing with a maple butter cream to sweeten up the whole thing. On top as a garnish are candied cranberries. I think the flavors work really well together and my taste testers agreed! I am saving the extra cupcakes in the freezer to have with our Thanksgiving dinner. The entire cupcake is gluten and dairy free.
Select firm, red cranberries. Prick two or three times with a needle. Boil sugar in water until it spins a thread. Put in cranberries and cook very gently until syrup jellies when tested from the tip of a spoon. Remove berries one at a time and place on wax paper. You may need to reform the cranberries that have burst into the oval shape. Let stand until dry. I left overnight. Roll the cranberries in granulated sugar.