Gluten Free Dairy Free Egg Nog
I adore eggnog. Yep, I’m one of those people… I like to spike my chai or coffee with it when wrapping gifts or baking up some Christmas joy. But most eggnogs have dairy. So, no go for me. The rest you an buy all seem to be soy based and don’t have that real egg eggnog flavor and the thickness that comes from an egg custard base. I decided to make my own based on traditional dairy recipes, just tweaked out a bit. Add alcohol if that is how your roll, or extracts to give you that real rum-spiked eggnog holiday drink. I like mine nonalcoholic with coffee and a gingerbread cookie. Enjoy!
The Recipe: Gluten Free Dairy Free Eggnog
- 4 cups gluten and dairy free milk substitute, I like almond milk
- 3/4 cup to 1 cup sugar, to taste
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 cup canned full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg with more for sprinkling on when serving
- Heat first measure of dairy free milk and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, whisking continuously until sugar has dissolved. Whisk yolks in a large bowl. Slowly pour hot milk substitute mixture into yolks while continually whisking.
- Return mixture to sauce pan, and cook over medium-low heat, whisking often, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 20 minutes (do not let simmer). Pour through a fine sieve into a bowl and stir in vanilla and nutmeg. Whisk in coconut milk. Allow to cool completely. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour if serving chilled. Serve sprinkled with nutmeg. You an make this up to one day ahead.