Gluten Free Dairy Free Gingerbread Cake
Edit 12-21-11: Here is a pic I included over at OAMM. Enjoy!
To get us into the holiday spirit, I made a Gluten Free Dairy Free Gingerbread Cake to fill the house with the scents of the season. After baking, I cut out a paper snowflake, laid it on top of my cooled gingerbread and dusted the entire thing liberally with powdered sugar. I carefully removed the paper snowflake, leaving a cake to rival any snowstorm! Enjoy!
The Recipe: Gluten Free Dairy Free Gingerbread Cake
- 3/4 cup finely ground brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/4 cup teff flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened gluten and dairy free milk substitute of choice
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 egg, or 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tablespoons hot water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease an 8″ x 8″ pan or 8″ round cake pan. Set aside.
- Sift all dry ingredients together and set aside.
- Blend wet ingredients well using a mixer. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to wet ingredients blending well before adding the next third. Mix well, the add the final third of flour mixture. When all ingredients are well blended pour batter into greased pan. Smooth batter with a wet spatula.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until gingerbread bounces back when touched. (If you test this cake with a toothpick, the toothpick will come out clean before the cake is actually done.)
- Freezing Directions: Allow cake to cool completely. Wrap well, label and freeze. If you would like to dust the cake with powdered sugar to decorate, do so after cake is thawed and right before serving.