Boullion without the, well, bull…
So many spice mixes, recipes, etc. call for boullion. First of all, it’s difficult to find without gluten, carmel coloring, etc. and good luck finding one without MSG. Blah! Below is a mix I make up instead. You can make a large batch, as I do and just scoop it out or make a small test batch to try using the recipe below. It is more chicken-style. If a recipe calls for 1 teaspoon or cube of bullion, use a tablespoon of the mix instead. I don’t add salt, because you can season that as you are cooking depending on the recipe.
For the dried veggies, you can use a dried flaked mix, dry your own or get the freeze dried “Just Veggies” mix at the store and crush it. www.justtomatoes.com You can get that at any health store. They even have a spicy version and an organic version!
The Recipe: GFCF Chicken-style Bullion Mix
- 2 teaspoon dried vegetables, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cane juice crystals
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast, Not baking yeast or brewer’s yeast! Find at the health food store
- Mix all ingredients in a blender or spice grinder till powdered. (I use a $6 coffee grinder that I just use for spices.) Makes 3 servings of 1 tablespoon each. Store in a tightly sealed container.
- If a recipe calls for 1 teaspoon or cube of bullion, use a tablespoon of the mix instead. I don’t add salt, because you can season that as you are cooking depending on the recipe.