Secret Recipe Club – Cranberry Pomegranate Vanilla Popcorn
It is time again for Secret Recipe Club reveal day! Woo-hoo! What is the Secret Recipe Club? It’s a lot like Secret Santa, but with recipes. Each month you are assigned a blog. After selecting a recipe from that bloggers repertoire, you make and post it on reveal day. It is a great way to find fun recipes and blogs. I like how it gets me to actually sit down and go through another person’s blog. Blogs are a lot of work and take time to put together. Instead of skimming through just the new stuff (as is usually easier when we see a new blog) it is fun to really sit down and go through what else the blog has to offer. Fun stuff!
This month my assignment was Heather’s blog, Join Us, Pull Up a Chair. I love the yummy variety of things on her blog. SO many yummy, yummy things, like Crunchy Quinoa Salad, Cranberry Chutney, Garlic Scape Pesto, Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting, Quinoa Pizza Bites, German Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars and Italian Chard Soup. Swoon! I wanted to pick something I could bring to the holiday celebrations that are happening now. As my kiddos love popcorn, we made a Christmas variation of Heather’s Valentine’s Day Popcorn. Because of our allergies and how we roll, I don’t use microwave popcorn, so adapted the recipe to cook in our Whirley Pop popcorn popper. I also wanted to avoid food dye so we could share this with friends who can’t eat food dyes, so replaced the color with 100% pomegranate juice. It worked like a charm! And the very subtle pom flavor mixed nicely with the vanilla. To make everything a bit more seasonal, I tossed in dried cranberries. Thanks for the inspiration, Heather! I can’t wait to try more recipes from your blog.
The Recipe: Secret Recipe Club – Cranberry Pomegranate Vanilla Popcorn
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate juice
- 2 teaspoon gluten free vanilla extract, clear for brightest color, but I only had brown on hand
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Stir together sugar, pomegranate juice and vanilla. Set aside. Measure popcorn and set aside.
- Put coconut oil three popcorn kernels to the whirly pop. Snap down the lid. Put pan over medium-high heat and start cranking the handle on the pan to stir. When the there kernels have popped, add sugar mixture and popcorn to pan. Close pan cover. Continue to crank handle on whirly pop until popcorn finished popping.
- When all popcorn has popped, remove from heat. Pour popcorn into a bowl or pan and salt to taste. Toss with dried cranberries.
- Any left over popcorn can be cooled completely before storing in an air-tight container.
Tis the season for great snack recipes and this is a must try. Love this combination. Great SRC choice and pinning this one in hopes to find time to make it for the Holidays.
What a terrific snack with a bright color pop, perfect for a season with too many cookie temptations.
So glad I inspired you! I love the changes you made and think I might make this for my son’s daycare teachers as a gift to them!
This is some seriously festive popcorn. Yummy!
I sure would love a big bowl of this right now! Great idea using the pomegranate juice!
YUM! I love popcorn and this looks like an amazingly delicious version. Can’t wait to try it!